RCC offers an Associate of Science degree in Health, Physical Education and Recreation and a Fitness Technician certificate. The associate of science degree is articulated with Southern Oregon University.
Asociate of Science Degree Articulated with SOU
The Associate of Science degree is designed for students transferring to SOU's bachelor's degree program in health and physical education. Programs in SOU's Department of Health, Physical Education and Leadership are an integral part of the College of Arts and Sciences. Their function is to prepare students for careers in:
- Health promotion
- Fitness and management
- Physical therapy
- Outdoor adventure leadership
For those interested in gaining experience in community-based learning related to exercise and nutrition, SOU offers the opportunity to participate in a district-wide program in the Ashland school system.
Fitness Technician Certificate
The Fitness Technician program prepares students for work in entry-level positions as professional members of preventive health care teams. You can expect to find employment in a variety of health and fitness clubs, wellness centers, public and private recreation facilities, hospitals, and corporate fitness programs where a working knowledge of instruction and administrative duties is required with:
- phones and advertising
- supervising weight and cardio areas
- organizing adult and children’s programs
- assisting residents in a retirement or Alzheimer’s setting
- working as a personal trainer with clients
- assisting with swim classes and conducting exercise classes
- participating in open gym activities and sports organization
- conducting fitness testing and instructing clients in appropriate sport and fitness activities
- sales, club business operations and member retention efforts
Fitness technicians have a background in basic anatomy and physiology, fitness assessment and programming, training in interpersonal skills, customer relations, behavior modifications, and fitness promotion.
HPER main office: 541-956-7259
Gym assistant: 541-956-7207