Fall Application Update
We are no longer accepting applications for fall term.
Applications for the Spring Cohort will open Friday, December 9, 2016 at 5:00pm.
Scheduled Information Sessions
Mandatory Information Session: Required to gain access to the program application. You need only attend one of the following.
- November 2, 2016 RVC - HEC (Higher Education Center), Rm 132, from 5-6:00 pm
- November 14, 2016 RWC - I building, Rm 2, from 1-2:00 pm
- November 23, 2016 RWC - I building, Rm 2, from 1-2:00 pm
- November 30, 2016 RVC - HEC (Higher Education Center), Rm 132, from 5-6:00 pm
Additional Information Sessions:
This link to schedule is for the SOHOPE/AHO information sessions and the AHO Demonstration Day, neither will fulfill the requirement of the mandatory session for application to the MA program, only the above mandatory information sessions will.
What is a Medical Assistant?
A medical assistant assists doctors in the performance of patient care, examination, and documentation. Medical Assistants perform or assist in taking vitals, front office medical administrative tasks, back office clinical procedures and ECG testing. Medical assistants are the face of medical offices and often the first people with whom patients come into contact.
They may perform basic medical coding and billing, scheduling, and patient flow and triage. Other duties may include waive testing, phlebotomy and specimen collection. Medical assistants are responsible for recording patient information into the electronic medical records systems and must be able to master several types of computer software programs. Quality improvement, safety, procedural accuracy, and knowledge of regulatory practice standards are defining aspects of this practitioner’s role.
Why Become a Medical Assistant?
With the passage of the Affordable Health Care Act and so many new patients coming into doctor's offices, there is a large demand for medical assistants in our area.
Please include name, phone, and email
How to Apply
To become a RCC student fill out an online admission application from the options.
- Schedule a placement test.
- If you have transcripts from another college, have your official transcripts sent to Rogue Central Services, 3345 Redwood Highway, Grants Pass, OR 97527. Once you have confirmed that your transcripts have arrived at RCC, submit a Transfer Credit Evaluation Request. Once the evaluation is complete you will be notified as to how transfer coursework may be applied to the Medical Assistant Certificate requirements.
- Application Instructions
- Approved Industry Observation Videos
- Applicant Scoring and Selection
How much will it cost?
The program is Financial Aid eligible and upon passing the State exams, will include a State approved Certificate..
The program is 36-44 credits at $99 per credit for Oregon residents for a range of $3,564-$4,356 (not including prerequisites and fees). Go here for more detailed tuition rate information. Due to rapidly changing nature of health care and associated cost, the following are only estimates.
|College Services Fees||$140||per term|
|Technology Fees||$60||per term|
|Distance Fees||$40||per term|
|Certified Background Check||$75|
|Clothing: scrubs and shoes||$100|
All students will be required to submit to an 11 panel drug screen prior to practicum placement or at any time throughout the program that is deemed necessary. A $41 drug screen fee will be added to the student account.
Testing Eligibility for graduates
Upon successful completion of the program, students will be eligible to take the National Healthcareer Association (NHA) CCMA exam. This exam is one of the ways that Medical Assistants can gain their credentials for Medical Assisting. Students can follow the link to the NHA website and follow directions to apply for the exam. You can also find the CCMA test plan at the bottom of the NHA page to help study for the exam. Students will also be prepared to take the ASCP Phlebotomy certification exam when they have completed the educational requirements and have documented 100 sticks either during the program or on their own. You can find out more about the exam on the ASCP website. Examination fees range from $115-150 each and are the financial responsibility of the student.
Which Rogue Valley employers support RCC's Medical Assistant program? These and more...
- Asante Physicians Partners
- Valley Immediate Care
- Ventana Wellness
- Providence Medical Group
- Community Health Center
- Jackson County Mental Health
- Grants Pass Clinic
- Ashland Orthopedic Associates
- Bear Creek Medical Plaza
- Associates for Women’s Health
- LCDV - La Clinica de Valle
- Asante Physician Partners
- Ambulatory Foot Care
- Eagle Point Pediatrics
- Medford Women’s Clinic
- Dermatology and Laser Associates
Additional Questions Contact:
Training Services Coordinator